Founded in 1888, some three years before the opening of the Cathedral, the Choir took up temporary lodging at All Saints Church, St Kilda, while the building of the Cathedral was completed. Boys and men were recruited, and after three years' training, all were ready for the great day, 22 January 1891, when the Choir led the procession of clergy into the Cathedral for the official opening.
The present choir consists of 18 boys and 16 men. They include members from many ethnic backgrounds including China, Malaysia, Vietnam and India.
The choir sings choral evensong most weeknights (Tuesdays to Fridays at 5.10pm during school term time) as well as Sunday services.